ZocdocAnswersWhy does my nose always get congested when I sleep?

Question

Why does my nose always get congested when I sleep?

I am a 20 year old male who has a history of allergies. recently my sinuses have been really bad due to the spring coming. my eyes have been itchy and my throat has been very sore. I'm not currently on any medications.

Answer

So sorry to hear that you are having to deal with allergies. We are fortunate to live in a time when there are excellent treatment options available, and I would recommend you take advantage of them by speaking to your doctor. The reason that your nasal congestion seems to get worse at night is possibly because of the fact that you don't wash your hair and body right before you go to sleep, nor do you change your bedding daily. Because of this, all of the pollens and other allergens that accumulate on you during the day are collected in your pillow and bedding, and then each night you curl up into them and expose yourself all night long. Obvious places to start at changing this include showering and washing your hair before bed, as well as changing and washing your bedding frequently--especially your pillow case. Additionally, if you are not using an intranasal steroid, it might be beneficial to speak to your physician and determine if they would help you to control your symptoms. There are other medications as well, but meticulous hygiene coupled with an intranasal steroid is often a great place to start and seek quick relief. Your primary care doctor will be able to get you started on the appropriate therapy, and can direct you to a specialist as needed.