Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"Why is my finger still swollen after jamming it 8 weeks ago?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy is my finger still swollen after jamming it 8 weeks ago?


I am a 20 year old male and I jammed my index finger attempting to catch a football about 8 weeks ago. It is still swollen to the size it was after jamming it. Some of the range of motion has come back but it still hurts under normal movement and while clutching things, like weights and a tennis racket. I have used a splint for three days in a row with no help. I also had a sprained ankle that took unusually long to heal. I am not on any medications. What other treatments could I do to help the healing?


It sounds like you really smashed your finger. I am worried that since your finger is still swollen and painful 2 months after the injury, that you may have injured a ligament or maybe even had a small fracture. These types of jam injures such as when you are catching a football tend to be quite painful, but are fully healed within a couple weeks. The fact that you are still having pain means that there is still active inflammation in you finger. This inflammation means that either there is still injured tissue, or that your injury was more severe than you initially thought. When you are young, these types of injuries shouldn't be ignored because they can occasionally result in chronic problems with your fingers. Because you have not had a full recovery after 2 months, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with an orthopedic hand specialist. He or she can examine your finger and take x-rays to see if there are any heeling fractures. I don't think that you will need any surgery, but it is possible. Either way, you will be able to determine for sure what is wrong and get the right treatment. Your doctor may recommend anti-inflammatory medications to reduce the inflammation and pain in your finger. Good luck.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.