Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"Why can't I lose weight?"

ZocdocAnswersWhy can't I lose weight?


I am a 27 year old female. I have been over weight my entire life. I have been trying desperately to lose weight. I have been tested for Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome but the test came back negative. I am struggling with this and I am not sure how to proceed. Can you give me some general advice? I am working out everyday by walking 2 miles and i am consuming 2000 calories a day. No medications.


Losing weight can be one of the most challenging but also one of the most important thing you can do for your health. From the description of your diet and exercise plan, you are well on your way to success at losing weight. The key to sustained weight loss and a healthy life style is to recognize that all weight gain or weight loss is an imbalance between calories consumed and calories burned. Thus any diet that claims results in weight loss does so by tipping this in the favor of calories burned. In your case, a 2000 calorie per day diet is an excellent start. If you have had trouble with weight, then you likely have a low basal metabolic rate. This means that you may only burn 1200-1400 calories per day without any exercise at all. You will likely only add 200-300 calories burned with your 2 miles of walking. If you are not losing weight, you may need to reduce your daily calorie intake to 1500 calories per day. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can review your diet and exercise regimen and calculate the estimated number of calories that you are burning every day. This will give you an idea of what you should expect in terms of weight loss. In addition, your doctor can refer you to a nutritionist who can help guide you in your weight loss.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.