ZocdocAnswersWhat are your cognitive learning disabilities after a stroke?

Question

What are your cognitive learning disabilities after a stroke?

I Have a uncle who suffered a stroke a few years ago and now he seems to have a problem with remembering things. He takes a few medications though I'm not sure what there called but all in all he still cant remember any thing before his stroke. Will his memory ever get better? And if so what can I do to help?

Answer

Cognitive problems are common after a stroke. This is an unfortunate reality after a stroke. The exact prognosis of what any potential recovery would be after the stroke depends on the exact nature of the stroke. As such, I would recommend that you and your uncle see a trained neurologist (stroke specialist). In general, a stroke is a decrease in blood flow to the brain which results in death of brain tissue (a more rare type of stroke is a bleed in the brain as opposed to decrease flow). Regardless, the end result is death of brain tissue. Now the brain is highly specialized with different functions located in different places. For example, the back of the brain is the visual center, there are different motor parts, there are different parts for memory etc. The exact result of the stroke depends on what are of the brain has been damaged and how much. If there is a stroke in a specific area, cognitive function can be damaged. A large stroke may not cause permanent damage, but a small stroke might allow for some recovery. Keep in mind that physical, occupational and speech therapy can help recover function. These therapies and maintaining active cognitive work can help. Talk to a neurologist. Good luck!