Why do I keep getting an electric shock sensation on the top of my foot?

I am a 32 year old female who recently noticed after working out that I have been getting these shock-like feelings on the top of my right foot. At first I thought it was because of the workouts but over a year after I stopped working out so much the shock sensation is still continuing. It also happens when I stretch the back of that leg.
From the symptoms that you are describing, there is a possibility that you are experiencing radiculopathy, or painful sensations related to impingement of one or more nerves exiting from your lumbar spine (the lower back). There are a variety of reasons that you could have pressure on these nerves, one of the most common causes being degenerative spine disease, causing compression and stretching of the nerves in your back. As we age, the discs that sit between the bones in our spine become less malleable and with time, they can become stiff and lose their water concentration. When this happens, small pieces of disc material from the inner part of the disc can become extruded into the spinal canal and cause pressure on the nerves or spinal cord depending where the disc extrusion occurs (this is also known as herniated discs). It is recommended that you be evaluated by your primary care doctor who will be best able to evaluate your medical history and presenting symptoms and decide upon whether further work up is indicated. This may include imaging studies or perhaps a referral to a specialist. In terms of treatment options, there are many options ranging from symptomatic treatment include PT/OT, NSAIDs, muscles relaxants, or surgical options depending on what is found.

Other Orthopedic Surgeons

• Dr. Stephen Pearce
    Dr. Stephen Pearce MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    1015 East 32nd St.
    Austin, TX 78705
  • Dr. John Pearce
    Dr. John Pearce MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    1015 East 32nd St.
    Austin, TX 78705
  • Dr. Joshua Fox
    Dr. Joshua Fox MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    1015 East 32nd St.
    Austin, TX 78705