Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What should I do about a cyst on my face near my eye?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat should I do about a cyst on my face near my eye?


I'm 27 year old female with no kids. I have no allergies and am not taking any medication. In the last few years i have been developing ganglion cysts on my left wrist and they have been dealt with by text book smash or drained with a needle. I recently starting getting one by my left eye right just outside the socket. I'm too scared to use a lancet on it since it's near my eye. It gets bigger if i workout or put my head upside fluid is leaking into it? Do i need to have it surgically removed and what causes these!?


Yes, you do need to have this evaluated by a surgeon or dermatologist given the location of the lesion and the fact that you mention that the size seems to be variable. It is always a good rule to seek the guidance and experience of a professional with any lesion, but especially those that are in highly visible areas where cosmesis (how it looks later) is very important. Additionally, infections of the face that could develop by treating this yourself can be very serious as they could quickly spread to involve the brain. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, it is necessary to confirm that these are indeed benign cysts rather than a manifestation of another disease process that might be occurring. If it is a ganglion cyst, it can either be removed by aspirating (sucking the contents out with a needle) and then injecting the cyst with something that will (hopefully) keep it from coming back. Alternatively, a small incision could be used to remove the pouch that is housing the fluid. Generally, ganglion cysts come from small ruptures in the sheath that surrounds tendons or ligaments, and the area that you are speaking of would be slightly abnormal for the development of one of these. Please see a physician for correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.