Book now. It's free!

Why do I sweat when I'm not hot?

I'm a 26 year old female and I sweat a lot even though I may not be feeling hot. I am on oral birth control and am wondering if this may be the reason or a factor? I use prescription strength deodorants over the counter, but I don't see much difference. I'm fairly healthy, with no major health concerns or issues.
There are a variety of causes of increased sweating or hyperhydrosis, and they are not necessarily related to feeling hot or taking birth control pills. Stress, and certain foods can be a cause, or this could be totally normal. A few questions to consider include are you overweight? Do you have a family history of increased sweating? Is it just within your axilla or do you notice sweating in your hands or on your face? These are all important questions to think about and discuss with your primary care doctor. This will help him or her decide upon the most appropriate work up strategy along with your medical history and presenting symptoms. He or she may decide to order lab tests or refer you to a specialist based on what the work up reveals. In general, it can be very common for some people to have increased sweat production compared with the average person, and this does not necessarily have to be something concerning. Of course, there are medical issues that can be the underlying cause for this condition and it is important that you are evaluated by a medical professional to ensure that this is a benign condition. There are medical therapies that can help with hyperhidrosis but again, it is best to discuss these with your primary care doctor who can deem if you are an appropriate candidate for these treatments.
Have further Questions? See a doctor!