ZocdocAnswersIs it safe to go on an all juice diet for 3 days?

Question

Is it safe to go on an all juice diet for 3 days?

I am a 26 year old white male. I have no prior health problems. I am 5 foot 10 inches tall and I weight 140 pounds. I have heard that going on an all juice diet for 3 days will detoxify your body and make you feel more energized. I am worried about it being harmful to my health though. I plan on using apples, pineapples, celery, carrots, and peaches.

Answer

It sounds like the juice you will be drinking will be quite nutritious. There are many dietary methods that people try to "detoxify" the body. I can assure you that there is no scientific evidence behind this and no toxin identified that would be washed out of the body on any diet. Therefore any benefit you have heard is most likely psychological. That doesn't necessarily make this a bad thing. Many people embark on short fasts to help them with a spiritual experience and no harm is usually done to the body. With that said no doctor would ever recommend this type of diet for the purposes you have described. While 3 days of all juice probably won't do you any long term harm, 3 weeks could be very detrimental to your health. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can review your general health and past medical history and determine if you are healthy enough to try this diet. I think you should keep your expectations low in terms of its benefits. Three days of just apples, pineapples, celery, carrots, and peaches will likely leave your body a bit drained - not energized. Good luck.