ZocdocAnswersIs there any way I can get rid of thigh stretch marks?

Question

Is there any way I can get rid of thigh stretch marks?

I am a female, 19 years of age and since i was 10 i have experienced stretch marks on my thighs, its embarrassing and it makes me really uncomfortable to wear a swim suit, i have tried cocoa butter cream and it doesn't work, i need something that actually works and isn't very expensive, because there has to be something out there that works.

Answer

Stretch marks are a very common problem, and they frequently occur in the areas that you describe, the upper thighs. Although most stretch marks in this part of the body are just related to changes in weight, they can rarely be related to a serious medical condition. Therefore, if you have extensive stretch marks, it is always a good idea to talk to your primary care doctor to make sure nothing more serious is going on. If not then, unfortunately, there are not really any good and inexpensive treatments for stretch marks. Sometimes, if you are patient, stretch marks will fade with time but this can often take years. The numerous creams and oils that are marketed over the counter for reducing stretch marks do not really have any effect. There are several highly effective procedures for working on stretchmarks that are available from your dermatologist. These include dermal abrasion therapy and laser-based skin resurfacing technologies. Unfortunately, all of these technologies are quite expensive and, as stretch marks are not considered a serious medical problem, they are rarely covered by insurance. Nevertheless, I suggest making an appointment with your dermatologist to discuss what options might be available to you.