What is causing these lumps under my eyelids?

I am a 27 year-old pregnant mother of three. I gave birth to my first child in 2004, four months later I developed bumps on the inside of my eyelids. The bumps caused no pain or irritation. After talking with my pcp we decided to change my birth control. This seemed to help because the bumps went away, but two weeks ago they came back. I am currently not on any birth control. What could be the cause of this?
First, it is important to note that you already made the correct first step in speaking with your primary care doctor. At this point, in the absence of more information, it would be appropriate to speak with him or her again and develop a more complete plan. In the absence of a picture and more of your medical history, it is only possible to put forward a few conjectures about what the lumps could be. The fact that you mention them being on the inside of your eyelids (maybe meaning closer to your nose, or the medial part of your eyelids?) and the fact that they seemed to improve for a time after changing your birth control makes me somewhat concerned that they could be related to high cholesterol levels. If anyone else in your family has them, or if you have known high cholesterol levels, and if they have a slight yellowish hue, then this idea would be even more likely. Treatment of your cholesterol can sometimes help to improve the spots, and birth control hormones do affect cholesterol levels. You can google the term xanthelasma and see if your lumps are similar. Regardless, you should speak to your physician, as recurrent lumps that come and go based on your hormone levels are something that do need to be investigated further.

• Dr. Gurinder Brar
    Dr. Gurinder Brar MD
    2607 Windguard Circle
    Wesley Chapel, FL 33544
  • Dr. Rekha Singh
    Dr. Rekha Singh MD
    1300 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
    Suwanee, GA 30024
  • Dr. Richard Ashby
    Dr. Richard Ashby MD
    8330 Richmond Highway
    Alexandria, VA 22309