ZocdocAnswersWhat can a woman do to increase her ovarian reserve and improve her AMH test result?

Question

What can a woman do to increase her ovarian reserve and improve her AMH test result?

I am a 32 year old working woman. I and my husband are trying to have a child from last 3 years. I was recently diagnosed with a low AMH level i.e. 0.35. The doctors believe that my ovarian reserve is very less and hence may or may not be producing an egg. They have put me on DHEA from last 3 months but my results haven’t improved.

Answer

I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with infertility issues. You should continue to work closely with your fertility doctors to address this issue, ass they are experts in increasing your chances of conceiving a child. AMH (anti mullerian hormone) is a relatively new test that is being used to diagnose ovarian dysfunction. It tends to be low, as in your case, usually in cases of premature ovarian failure. There are many treatments for premature ovarian failure. The choice of treatments depends on your preferences in part. For example, DHEA is one potential successful treatment that is relatively new. There are also a large range of other hormonally based treatments; I am not sure what treatments you may already have had, but if DHEA is the first you have tried, there may be other hormonal options that your doctors may want to try as well. Of course the most successful method here involves using a donor egg; however this depends on whether or not you are willing to consider this option obviously. Talk to your fertility doctors about how you are feeling; they can help you decide what the next steps in your treatment plan should be at this time.