What kind of doctor should I see about me dizzy spells?

I'm a 21 year old mother of one, with no history of chronic dizziness. Over the past couple of weeks, when I stand for more than a few minutes, I get very dizzy. I can no longer take showers because my legs become too shaky and I feel very lightheaded and sometimes fall down. I am not experiencing any frequent headaches. I am not taking any medications at this time. What kind of doctor should I see about this problem?
What you are experiencing sounds like a type of orthostatic pre-syncope. This is where standing from a lying or sitting position causes blood to fall from the head to the feet by gravity, depriving the brain of blood flow, and causing the feeling of dizziness. Since your symptoms seem to be worse while in the shower, then I would venture to guess that your symptoms are related to a vaso-vagal reaction. This is where an external stimulus such as a hot shower, a sudden scare or startle, an extreme emotional state can cause a sudden temporary drop in blood pressure (example is when a person faints after seeing blood). Vaso-vagal reactions are not dangerous except for the risk of injuring oneself after a fall. Some patients with this issue benefit from a diet higher in salt (I know that sounds crazy). I suggest that you schedule an appointment with a cardiologist. He or she can take a more detailed history of your symptoms and perform a physical exam including your pulse and blood pressure while standing and sitting. The cardiologist may also want to get an ultrasound of your heart. I think this visit will result in some advice which will help your dizziness.

Other Cardiologists