ZocdocAnswersWhat is your standard range for TSH levels?

Question

What is your standard range for TSH levels?

Hypothyroidism runs in my family. I've heard that the new range for TSH levels is 0.3 to 3. Is this true?

Answer

This is basically true, though the true answer to your question is a bit more complicated than that. Let me explain. Technically the normal range for thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) is between 0.4 and 5. However, people with a TSH higher than 3, tend to have a high likelihood of developing hypothyroidism in the future. What this really means is that people with a TSH of 3-5 probably are developing hypothyroidism, but are no there yet. What I do for my patients is measure TSH and actual thyroid hormone levels in anyone that has symptoms of hypothyroidism, or those with TSH levels that are borderline high or low. If I have a patient with a very significant family history of hypothyroidism, then I have a lower threshold to test both TSH and free thyroid hormone (also known as free T4). I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can take detailed history of any symptoms you are having, perform a thorough physical exam, and determine if you should have your thyroid function checked. Since you have hypothyroidism in your family, your doctor may want to monitor your TSH and T4 yearly just to be sure. Good luck.