Is there a reason I am feeling an occasional numbness in my hands and feet?

I am a 45 year old female homemaker and I have occasionally been feeling a numbness in my feet and hands when I am trying to sleep at night or while I am driving in my car. I feel this is a problem because it is very bothersome and uncomfortable when I am trying to rest. I am constantly working and walking around my house and I rest a few hours during my daily tasks. I have been have this problem for quite a while and I have been looking for reasons for this occasional numbness in my feet and hands, and if there is anything I can do to prevent it. I'm currently taking B-12 shots twice a month.
Unfortunately, it is difficult to know from your description whether you have any medical problems, such as a history of diabetes, or any associated symptoms, such as neck pain, as this would be helpful in evaluating what could be the underlying cause of these symptoms. There are a wide variety of causes for these symptoms that you are having and these are outside the scope of this discussion. Some of the possibilities include vitamin deficiency as you already discussed, diabetic neuropathy, or degenerative changes in your cervical spine, amongst other possibilities. As such, it is best if you are evaluated by your primary care doctor who will best be able to evaluate your medical history and presenting symptoms and decide upon the appropriate work up. This may include lab tests, imaging studies and possibly may require a referral to a specialist. They will also be able to decide upon an appropriate work up if one is indicated. If you are having symptoms of neck pain, especially if it radiates down your arms or legs, then the possibility that you have some degenerative changes in your cervical spine would be high on the differential diagnosis and further work up and evaluation would be warranted.

Other Neurologists