ZocdocAnswersCan energy drinks such as Rockstar cause harm to your body?

Question

Can energy drinks such as Rockstar cause harm to your body?

I am a 31 year old male and have been drinking Sugar Free Rockstars for about three years now. I drink two to three of these a day and sometime after words can feel like I have a racing heart or tight chest. There also seems to be an addictive nature to these drinks as I find myself wanting to have more even with these disturbing symptoms.

Answer

Most physicians look at energy drinks unfavorably for two reasons. Most of them have a lot of calories and sugar which can contribute to weight gain and exacerbated diabetes. It sounds like you are using a sugar free energy drink which is a good thing. The second reason we frown on these drinks is because of the stimulants such as caffeine that they contain. This is the same reason why we advise against drinking more than 1-2 cups of coffee per day. Caffeine and other stimulants have several negative effects on the body. First, if they are consumed anytime afternoon, they can disturb your sleep. Second, these stimulants can increase you blood pressure. Finally, they can cause a fast heart rate or even exacerbate an existing heart rhythm problem. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. The two of you can review your diet and your energy drink habit. You can have your blood pressure taken to make sure that the drink is not raising your blood pressure. You may need an electrocardiogram to make sure that your racing heart is not a heart arrhythmia. In addition, you can discuss methods of reducing your consumption of these drinks. Good luck.