ZocdocAnswersWhy am I sleeping so much for the past two weeks?

Question

Why am I sleeping so much for the past two weeks?

I am a 53 year old female who is African-American. For the past week or two, I have been sleeping a lot. I go to bed around 9:00pm or 9:30pm and will sleep until 10:00am or 11:00am the next morning. When I wake up, I am still tired. I can easily sleep for 11 hours. I have a hard time coming out of my sleep. I don’t know what to try to eliminate this problem.

Answer

I strongly suggest that you see your primary care doctor as soon as possible to help you sort out what is going on. If you recently had an infection or other acute illness (such as influenza) then it could be that your body is requiring a lot of additional sleep in order to recuperate. However, if this is not the case then I suggest looking into other causes with your doctor. If you have feelings of sadness, mood swings, loss of energy, or changes in weight, appetite or sex drive these may be symptoms of depression, which can also cause the desire to sleep all the time. This is a treatable condition, and you should talk to your doctor about it. If you have any thoughts about hurting yourself, which can happen with depression, you should go to the emergency room or see your doctor immediately. Imbalances in the thyroid gland can also cause excessive sleepiness, especially if you have a history of thyroid problems, or if you have recently had increased weight, or changes in your mood or the texture and color of your skin or hair. Regardless of what is going on, you need a prompt diagnosis, which will be easily accomplished by talking with your primary care doctor.