ZocdocAnswersI have peeling dry skin on my nose and cheeks. What is this and how do I treat it?

Question

I have peeling dry skin on my nose and cheeks. What is this and how do I treat it?

I'm a 34 year old mother of one. I have seasonal allergies and am currently taking Prozac and Prilosec. I do have psoriasis on my scalp and was wondering if this could also be psoriasis.

Answer

Psoriasis as you know tends to produce red, inflamed patches of skin that have a thin white or silvery scale on top of it. It is certainly possible that this is what is going on on your face, although it does not sound like it from the description you give. I would suggest talking to your dermatologist and having them look at the new skin findings to make sure it is not psoriasis. If it ends up not being psoriasis, then there are a couple of other possibilities. One of these is seborrheic dermatitis, which is an inflammation of oily regions of the skin, especially the hairline and creases of the face (for example on the sides of the nose). Seborrheic dermatitis causes scaling, itching and redness of the affected skin. It can often be treated easily with topical steroid creams, however because steroid creams should be used cautiously on the face, you should have the diagnosis confirmed by your dermatologist or primary care doctor before beginning treatment. It is also simply possibly to have dry skin, especially in winter months, and this can be treated simply with a good moisturizer. Talk to your doctor, who can help you decide what to do.