Why do I choke on my saliva while I am sleeping?

I am a 40 year old mother of two and have recently been waking up in the middle of the night choking on my saliva. I have tried sleeping with my head propped-up but that does not seem to make a difference. Almost every night I wake in a panic and gasp to catch my breath. I am getting to the point where I do not want to go to sleep. Are there sleep doctors or someone that can help me with this? I am not currently on any medications.
This is an issue that should be discussed soon with your primary care doctor, as poor sleep can affect your health in many ways, not just affect your quality of life. While you don't provide any additional details, I would be interested to know if you are overweight. The symptoms that you are describing sound very much like obstructive sleep apnea, which is more common in people who are overweight. In this increasingly common disorder, the soft tissue in the back of your throat relaxes while you sleep, and then it falls into the airway. During the day you don't notice this because you can swallow or adjust the soft tissue in other ways, but this obstruction while you are asleep gradually causes you to feel that you are not getting enough oxygen, which eventually sends a signal to your brain. Your brain feels this panic feeling that you are describing, and then wakes you up in order for you to swallow and breathe appropriately. Then you fall back asleep and the cycle repeats itself. Please see either your primary care physician to diagnose this condition and see if anything else is happening, or he or she will refer you to either an ear-nose-and throat surgeon (AKA ENT AKA otolaryngologist) or a sleep medicine specialist for a more complete workup, possibly including a sleep study. There are treatments available.

Nearby Sleep Medicine Specialists

• Dr. Eric Teller
    Dr. Eric Teller MD
    Sleep Medicine Specialist
    38 E. 32nd Street
    New York, NY 10016
  • Dr. Ari Klapholz
    Dr. Ari Klapholz MD
    Sleep Medicine Specialist
    275 7th Avenue
    New York, NY 10001
  • Dr. Ofer Jacobowitz
    Dr. Ofer Jacobowitz MD, PhD
    Sleep Medicine Specialist
    261 5th Avenue
    New York, NY 10016

Other Sleep Medicine Specialists

• Dr. Daniel Ahoubim
    Dr. Daniel Ahoubim MD
    Sleep Medicine Specialist
    800A 5th Ave
    New York, NY 10065
  • Dr. Maha Ahmad
    Dr. Maha Ahmad MD
    Sleep Medicine Specialist
    423 W 55th St
    New York, NY 10019
  • Dr. Fulvia Milite
    Dr. Fulvia Milite MD
    Sleep Medicine Specialist
    36 West 60th Street
    New York, NY 10023