How can I effectively combat depression?

I'm a 32 year old accountant who has been diagnosed with depression. I've tried taking various medications, but I hate the side effects, and the idea of relying on medication within itself. I have a tendency to self medicate, regardless of the negative health consequences, and I'm really very bored and feel my life is going nowhere.
Depression is a problem that is best treated with a combination of approaches, including medication and counseling. There are several different medications and classes of medications that are used to treat depression, each with its own unique set of side effects. You should have a very candid discussion with your primary care physician or psychiatrist regarding which side effects are most distressing to you, and he or she can tailor treatment to your needs. This is very important, as patients will often require medication to be continued for several years, as depression symptoms can recur as medication is tapered. For this reason, it is often best to develop a long-term relationship with one provider who best knows the details of your medical history. It is a bad idea to self-medicate given the potential for side effects and the dangers of overdosing on any type of medication.

Other Psychiatrists