How can I figure out the cause of my fainting spells?

I am a 22 year old female and I have been suffering from this problem for 9 years. It first occurred when I was away at camp the summer before my freshman year of high school. I have found that my fainting spells usually occur around the same time as my period, but not always. Sometimes I pass out from being overheated and I have passed out on occasion from very high stress situations.
If you have been having fainting spells for this long, then you should certainly talk with your primary care physician to help figure out the cause and help prevent them from happening in the future. Common things being common, about fifty percent of the cases of fainting in the pediatric and adolescent population are caused by vasovagal syncope. This term refers to the momentary inability of the body to maintain an adequate heart rate and blood pressure to deliver enough blood supply to the brain. This problem is typically brought about by an inciting event, such as physical or emotional stress, and usually causes a prodrome that may include nausea, lightheadedness, and/or tunnel vision prior to fainting. The same type of body response may happen in the setting of being very dehydrated and getting up too quickly from a seated or lying position. In any case, given the duration and frequency of your symptoms, you should see your primary care physician. You can have some basic blood work checked, as well as an EKG, which is a non-invasive way of looking at the electrical conduction system of your heart.

Other Cardiologists