Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"I had got myself fixed but now I want a another baby. What should I do?"

ZocdocAnswersI had got myself fixed but now I want a another baby. What should I do?


My new husband wants a baby.


This is a tough question to answer without knowing the type of tubal ligation you received. These days a tubal ligation can happen through an open procedure (such as after a c-section), or even without an open surgery through the vagina and uterus. In all cases, the tubal ligation is meant to be permanent, but surgical reversal procedures exist for all types of tubal ligation. The rate of success of these procedure depends on many factors including the type of original tubal ligation, your age, and any other health problems you may have. This is a decision that will require a sit down discussion with an OBGYN surgeon that performs these operations. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your OBGYN. You can discuss the type of tubal ligation you had, and the likelihood of a successful reversal given the various important factors (your age, the type of ligation, your past medical history). Your OBGYN may be able to perform the procedure, but most of them do not specialize in reversals. Thus you may need referral to a doctor within the OBGYN specialty that does these procedures. After digesting all the information, you will have to decide if undergoing the reversal procedure has benefits that outweigh the risks. I hope this works out for you.

Need more info?

See an obgyn today

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.