ZocdocAnswersI frequently get bacterial vaginosis, vaginitis, and yeast infections. What should I do?

Question

I frequently get bacterial vaginosis, vaginitis, and yeast infections. What should I do?

I'm an 18 year old who frequently gets bacterial vaginosis, vaginitis, and yeast infections. I am afraid I will soon become allergic to metronidazole. I have had this issue for the last year and half. I have changed laundry soap, bath soap, and it still persists.

Answer

You do not need to worry about becoming allergic to metronidazole. What you do, however, have to do is make sure that these diagnoses are accurate. Every time you have symptoms, you should see your primary care doctor and samples of the vaginal fluid and urine should be examined. This is because it is very common for bacterial vaginosis and vaginitis to be misdiagnosed. Since this is becoming a more chronic problem for you, it is important to be certain of what you are dealing with, rather than just treating every time based on symptoms. In additional to changing soaps, the most important this is to make sure that you are not using any cleaning products in the vagina. Douching in particularly is strictly contraindicated, as this disturbs the balance of normal bacteria that live in the vagina and can lead to vaginal infections. You should also discontinue the use of any vaginal lubricants or creams, such as those you might use during sexual intercourse, as these can contribute. Finally, you might want to consider using condoms with sexual intercourse as there is some evidence that bacterial vaginosis and yeast infections can be passed during intercourse. Talk to your primary care doctor or your OB GYN doctor for further advice.