ZocdocAnswersWhy is it that when I blow my nose, the mucus is bloody?

Question

Why is it that when I blow my nose, the mucus is bloody?

I am a 21 year old female and occasionally suffer from cat allergies and seasonal allergies. I have been suffering from a congested nose, watery eyes, and a sore throat for the past week. When I blow my nose, there is a significant amount of blood in the mucus, which I think is from dryness. The blood has been present for the past three days. I have tried some Claritin without any luck. Are there any medications I should try? Or should I see a professional?

Answer

Patients suffering from congestion and dry mucous membranes in the nose will often complain of slightly blood-tinged mucous expelled upon blowing the nose. Several primary care physicians will prescribe a variety of medications for helping patients deal with a bout of congestion. This often involves a topical decongestant taken as a nasal spray (such as Afrin); it is important to know that this medication should not be used for more than 3 days, as it can lead to more congestion if taken for prolonged periods of time. This can be combined with an oral decongestant (such as pseudoephedrine) that also works to constrict the blood vessels in the nose and allow you to breathe easier. Lastly, it is often helpful to buy a saline nasal spray to help keep the nasal mucosa moist and less prone to bleeding/rupture. The spray can be used three or four times daily. This combination of medications should help bring you relief. Try to avoid blowing your nose as well. If you are still having bloody mucous or nosebleeds after this current bout of congestion resolves, then it would be advisable to see your primary care physician so that he/she can examine you more closely.