ZocdocAnswersWhy do I have spots in my beard?

Question

Why do I have spots in my beard?

I am a 25-year-old Hispanic man. For the past 6 months I have had spots in my beard that will not grow. The hair around these spots grows in fine. They do not itch. I have shaved over them and around them. I am wondering if I need an ointment or if it might perhaps be a vitamin deficiency that causes this.

Answer

There are various causes of what could be going on and causing this problem. Often this is a normal variation and there is really nothing wrong. That being said, regardless of the cause this can often be treated. I would recommend that you see a dermatologist (a skin and hair specialist) in order to have this evaluated and treated. There are a few causes of patchy hair loss in the facial hair distribution. The most common is that this is a normal variant. Hair comes from hair follicles that are distributed in a fairly universal distribution for all men. There can be areas throughout the body were there are no or limited hair follicles. This is not a sign of a problem but simply a normal variation. There are also disease that can causes problems with hair growth. Infections of the skin can do this. Fungal infections -- known as tinea barbarae can cause it. In addition, bacterial infections such as folliculitis can do this. There can be other inflammatory skin conditions (dermatitis) that can cause this and subsequently kill the hair follicles. There are many other causes. Talk to a dermatologist. Regardless of cause, there are hair follicle stimulants that can be used to help with growth.