Why does my eye twitch by itself?

I am a 38 year old woman, and this strange thing happens to me sometimes. I will be going about my average day, and the area under my eye will start to twitch. I can feel it moving, and it does it for a few seconds. I have even seen it in the mirror sometimes, where it will just start moving by itself. It doesn't hurt, and it doesn't last very long. It can be embarassing when I am in public since I don't want anyone to notice it and I can't stop it. It just stops by itself. I'm just wondering what would cause this, and is there anything I should do about it, or is it just one of those things that I don't need to worry about?
Eye twitching, while an unfortunate inconvenience, is not usually a cause of alarm. The very fine muscles in your eye, and other small muscles in other parts of your body, are extremely sensitive to fatigue. When they get tired, they will tend to fasciculate, or have small spasms that usually go away after a short amount of time. You might notice that your eye is more likely to twitch when you are tired. Alternatively, there is a slight possibility that this could be related to another medical condition. If anyone in your family has any muscle disorders, then this possibility would be raised and you should speak to a physician about your eye. Otherwise, try to pay attention to what circumstances surround your eye twitching, make note of them, and then discuss this particular issue with your physician at your next physical exam. Also and of course, if you have other symptoms such as changes in vision or spasms that affect larger motor groups, please make an appointment to discuss these symptoms with your doctor more quickly.