Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"How can I get rid of a yeast infection that occurs during my period"


I have constant itching and don't know what to do.


Vaginal yeast infections (also known as vaginal candidiasis) can be quite annoying for women. Women that get them report itching, burning, and sometimes a white discharge. These yeast infections are not considered a sexually transmitted disease, but some women report more of them when they are sexually active.

See a doctor who can help

Find a Obgyns near you

Most of the time these infections appear randomly without a known preceding cause. However, they can also be associated with use of oral contraceptives (birth control pill), diabetes, the use of vaginal douches, and the use of antibiotics for a separate infection. While having your period is not a classic risk factor for getting a yeast infection, it is possible that the menstrual flow allows for this to develop. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician or OBGYN, whoever you see for your feminine health. He or she can take a detailed medical and sexual history and perform a thorough pelvic exam. Your doctor and perform a comprehensive assessment of you personal risk factors for these infections and identify any perpetrators (if any). Likely, the doctor will take a sample of your vaginal discharge and test it for yeast. You may also get a prescription for an anti-fungal medication (if a yeast infection is suspected).

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.