Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by licensed doctors

"What is this bump in my right pectoral?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat is this bump in my right pectoral?


I have had a bump in my right pectoral for over 10 years (I used to be a semi professional hockey player and we used to take a lot of shots to the body). The bump has not really grown but it is now hurting slightly on occasion (not a sore muscle pain). What type of doctor should I see?


This is a very common problem we see in the primary care clinics. Most people at some point in their life find a bump or lump on their body that is totally benign. If you injured the muscle or other soft tissue in that area, the healing process often involves creation of scar tissue which can result in a small bump or lump. This bump should not grow or change in character even over a long period of time (assuming you don't put on 100 pounds in that time). They can cause pain if they rub up against an adjacent normal structure. Another possibility is that this bump is a benign tumor such as a lipoma. This is a very common benign growth that is annoying, but doesn't change in size. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can examine the lump/bump on your chest and see if it looks or feels abnormal or dangerous. If there is any question in the doctor's mind, then he or she may order an ultrasound or x-ray of the lesion to make sure it does look suspicious. This way, you can be sure it is nothing dangerous.

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.