ZocdocAnswersI have a pain in my wrist and around my thumb, what should I do to fix it?

Question

I have a pain in my wrist and around my thumb, what should I do to fix it?

The pain is quite severe and has recently developed within the last two weeks. It typically hurts only when I use my hands. For example, typing it painful, or even brushing my hair. I have never broken my wrist or any of my fingers so I do not think that it is arthritis. Nor am I old. I am a 25 year old male. My mother does have a history of carpel tunnel.

Answer

Wrist pain in common. While there are many minor and passing causes for this, there are a few that require attention. I would recommend that you see your primary care doctor to have this evaluated. Wrist and thumb pain can be caused by injury to the bone, muscle or ligaments. This is usually preceded by fall or trauma. If this has happened to you, then it may be the cause of your pain This would require immediate intervention and I would recommend you see your primary care doctor at once for X-rays and evaluation. Some breaks of the bone cause a limitation of the blood supply to the bones, so can cause serious long term damage without intervention. The other major cause to consider is carpal tunnel syndrome. This is caused by a compression of the nerve that feeds the thumb side of the hand and therefore can cause pain in that area. It is often caused by "repetitive stress" meaning people who use there wrists a lot like typing or hammering. Your situation sounds concerning for carpal tunnel. Your doctor can evaluate and treat this. The first step is often splints to help take stress off the nerve, but surgery can be done in some cases. Talk to your doctor.