ZocdocAnswersWhy do I cough every morning until the point I get sick?

Question

Why do I cough every morning until the point I get sick?

I am a 24 year old women and don't have any allergies but every morning i wake up coughing and get sick because of it. Its like i cant breath when i wake up.

Answer

Coughing is a common symptom that may suggest problems with the lungs, heart, throat, or esophagus. The problems can be due to allergies (such as post nasal drip or asthma), irritation from gastric reflux disease, or infections such as the common cold, sinusitis, bronchitis, or pneumonia. You should make an appointment to see your primary care doctor to discuss these symptoms. The possible causes could vary widely depending on your past medical history, current medications, background, and the details of your symptoms. If you develop worsening shortness of breath, chest pain, dizziness, or other alarming symptoms then it is very important for you to be evaluated in an emergency room, where they can ensure that your oxygen level is normal and you do not have a severe problem with your breathing.