What can I do to get rid of hang nails?

Sometimes in the winter months my hands and nails get very dry and flakey. I am a 27 year old female and I thought only the elderly had to deal with stuff like this. One problem that really bothers me is the fact that I try to keep my hands moisturized and I keep getting really bad hang nails which tend to bleed and become very sore. I feel like I have tried just about every cream and lotion that I can think of. Should I see a doctor or dermatologist or just tough it out? It does tend to bother me a lot and I wish I could find a way to fix my dry hands and nails.
Dry, flaky skin is something that many people have to deal with, especially during the winter months. If you feel that yours is more pronounced than that of most people, you should consider discussing this with your doctor or dermatologist, as it could be related to a skin condition such as eczema, which is often associated with allergies. Patients with eczema are also prone to chronic hang nails. Hang nails, or paronychia, are infection of the fold of the skin near the nail beds. They are common in those who over manicure their nails, nail biting, frequently rinsing your hands or submerging them in water, and other considerations that involve using the hands often. Diabetes and some medications used to treat medical conditions have also been linked to hang nails, although this would be an uncommon first sign of a medical condition. Given that you have been addressing this condition for some time without success, speaking to a dermatologist might be the most quick and effective method of finding a viable solution. He or she will have access to treatment modalities, such as different creams and lotions, that might offer better results. Immediate treatment will involve warm, moist compresses, with drainage and antibiotics reserved for severe cases.