What can I take for back pain during pregnancy?

I am 20 years old and about 34 weeks pregnant and have been suffering from terrible back pain for a few months now. In the beginning I could help lessen the pain by taking Tylenol, but now the pain has gotten so bad that Tylenol does not work. I am not sure what is safe and not safe to take during pregnancy, and the pain is getting to be so bad that it is hard to function.
Back pain during pregnancy is an almost universal phenomenon that can impair more than just your quality of life--it can make it impossible to even get out of bed in the morning! Fortunately or unfortunately, some of the most effective remedies are those that are also safest for your baby. Conservative treatment approaches, such as massage, warm and cold compresses and baths, back support, improved posture, strengthening of your core muscle groups, are those that are most often recommended as the first line of treatment. Tylenol is another option that is safe when used as per the manufacturer's instructions, and provides relief to many people to varying degrees. Unfortunately, many of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, such as ibuprofen and aleve, are dangerous to your baby, especially early in pregnancy and are not routinely recommended for that reason. They can be harmful on multiple levels, but are especially well known for causing developmental problems with the kidneys. If your back pain does not respond to tylenol and other conservative measures, then you should discuss other options with your obstetrician or midwife. Also, be aware of warning signs such as bleeding, or sudden changes or increases in your back pain, as these might indicate something more serious and should be discussed with your doctor immediately.

Nearby OB-GYNs