ZocdocAnswersWhy do my feet hurt in the middle even though I wear soft sneakers?

Question

Why do my feet hurt in the middle even though I wear soft sneakers?

I am a 45 year old woman I work in an office. My feet have been hurting for the last month. I do not walk a lot. I work in an office but when I walk home from the train I feel a lot of pain on my feet." I had pain in my feet years ago and I switched to wearing soft sneakers and my feet stopped hurting but recently have been hurting a lot even though I bought new sneakers. I elevate my feet when I get home but even in the morning they hurt.

Answer

It is difficult to answer the question completely without knowing exactly where the pain in your feet is. However, the history that you are describing sounds like the pain you had before may have been plantar fasciitis and, if so, it very likely could have come back. Plantar fasciitis is an inflammation of the connective tissue on the bottom of the foot in front of the heel bone. It is generally caused by strain on the tissue, usually from walking and standing on your feet. It is often a chronic condition and the pain can come and go over years. There is no excellent treatment for plantar fasciitis, but several things can help. First, taking over the counter antiinflammatory medicines like ibuprofen may relieve pain. Second, wearing a pair of shoes with excellent arch support (this often means buying an arch insert for your shoes) is critical. Finally, there are a number of stretching exercises which you can perform; your doctor can give you a list of these exercises or you can find them on a reputable health information website. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care doctor to confirm the diagnosis and help you develop a plan of treatment.