What would cause my left eye to occasionally pulsate and twitch uncontrollably?

This happens frequently enough: 2-3 times a week. I wear contacts. I am a male 32 yr old engineer and spend a lot of time in front of a computer. But it is always the same eye and it seems like eye strain should affect both eyes. Sometimes this pulsating lasts for a few seconds, sometimes up to 30 seconds. I do not take any medications.
Blepharospasm is when the eyelid twitches uncontrollably, and can be a troublesome and bothersome condition for many people. In general, the symptoms are worse when you are fatigued or when your eyes themselves are fatigued, which is likely why you are noticing that your symptoms are worse when you are in front of the computer for long periods of time. In general, the condition is managed by avoiding fatiguing situations as much as possible, and, when the symptoms become unbearable and/or if they begin to affect the vision, it is possible to explore other alternatives, including injections with botox into the muscle that is causing the eyelid to spasm. Botox works by blocking the muscle's ability to contract, and so the problem is usually completely fixed with these injections. The unfortunate fact is that they will need to be repeated every few months indefinitely, as the botox eventually wears off. For this reason, many people will opt for a surgical solution, which can have the same effect and can be permanent. Please speak to your primary care doctor if the symptoms continue, if you have any family members with a muscle disorder (or if you have one yourself), or if you have any further concerns. He or she can then refer you to the correct specialist for further management options.

Nearby Ophthalmologists

Other Ophthalmologists