ZocdocAnswersWhy do my hands tremble when I am around a significant number of people?

Question

Why do my hands tremble when I am around a significant number of people?

I'm a 28 year old mechanic, and have had problems with anxiety for about 8 years now. I have been prescribed numerous medicines such as clonazepam that is used to treat general anxiety, but I still tremble when I am around a large group of people.

Answer

Generalized anxiety is a common condition seen in the outpatient medical setting. Clonazepam belongs to a group of medications called benzodiazepines, which are frequently prescribed to help ease the symptoms of anxiety and help relax the mind. Many patients get a good deal of relief through the medications, but it is also very important to develop a strong and healthy longitudinal relationship with either your primary care doctor and/or a mental health professional to talk about the causes of your anxiety and the best ways to cope with them. If you continue to have slight trembling when you become anxious, then you should ask your physician about another class of medications called beta blockers that are commonly used as an adjunctive treatment of anxiety. Beta blockers can help slow down the heart rate and make the body less sensitive to the catecholamines that surge in stressful or high-metabolic situations, such as with anxiety or elevated thyroid function.