I am 22 years old with a lazy right eye. What are my options?

My eye doctor suggested me to use a pair of glasses and to protect the weaker eye. Is this the only option i have, to wear glasses all my life? will this improve my vision at all, because i have always experienced headaches and discomfort wearing power lenses for one eye and no power on the other.
Lazy eye is a serious eye problem which should be corrected. Lazy eye can actually refer to a few different conditions. One is strabismus, in which they eyes are misaligned (usually due to structural differences between the two eyes). Strabismus usually gives one a 'cock-eyed' or cross-eyed look. In the absence of strabismus, lazy eye is called simply amblyopia, which is actually a problem of the brain perceiving vision differently in the two eyes. This problem will not improve on its own. As your eye doctor has suggested, the best and first treatment in adults is corrective lenses to fix the vision in the affected eye. Gradually the eye may adjust to this treatment, and the headaches should improve. Additional treatments may include patching the unaffected eye (to make the affected eye work harder) or medications (eye drops) to produce the same effect. These treatments tend to be less effective in adults than in children. Occasionally, in cases of strabismus, surgery to realign the eyes by shortening the muscles surrounding the eyes may be needed. Recently some studies using specialized techniques, such as perceptual learning with special electronic software, can help as well in some adults. You should discuss your concerns and treatment options with your eye doctor.

Nearby Ophthalmologists

Other Ophthalmologists