ZocdocAnswersShould I try a different medication for my depression?

Question

Should I try a different medication for my depression?

I have been taking 200mg of Sertraline daily for many years now. Still, I have symptoms of depression including hypersomnia, sleeping 12-14 hours a day, melancholy, feelings of hopelessness and helplessness, and disinterest in activities. These feelings are especially bad when I have PMS. I am not currently in therapy, but have tried it in the past. I am a 33 year old female with a history of depression and anxiety.

Answer

It sounds like you are still suffering from several symptoms of major depression. While your medication may be helping to some degree, it is clear that it is not the entire solution in your particular case. You have tried therapy in the past, and studies have shown that patients that use a combination of therapy and medication have better results in getting over depression than those patients that only use one modality of treatment. Over the last ten years, a number of different medications have been developed for the treatment of depression. Some work better than others for some particular patients, and in your case it may be worth either trying another medication or adding a second agent to your medication regimen. You should talk about these various options with your psychiatrist, as the two of you should be having a thorough longitudinal conversation about your symptoms and the response to whatever treatment course you choose to pursue.