ZocdocAnswersWhy do I feel tremors inside after I exercise?

Question

Why do I feel tremors inside after I exercise?

Over the past six months, I have been working out at the gym, mostly on the treadmill. I have been walking at a moderate pace, hardly ever jogging or walking over 30 minutes. Within the last two months, I started feeling nervous-type tremors throughout my body when I go to bed. I feel it in my hands, arms and legs. My blood pressure has always been on the low side, and I don’t feel heart racing. So I wonder if this is muscular or nervous-system related.

Answer

This is not a very common complaint; I would recommend seeing your primary care physician to have this addressed. There are a few possibilities which should be ruled out and then hopefully treated. Nervous type tremors in the body when trying to go to bed may be consistent with Restless Leg Syndrome. This syndrome is characterized by the irresistible urge to move to stop odd or uncomfortable feelings. This often improves with movement, worsens with rest and is often worse in the evening. This syndrome can be caused by itself, or caused by other disorders. These disorders, including iron deficiency anemia, psychiatric disorders, and medication compliance should be ruled out. It is often familial so it is possible your other family members have this. Your doctor can diagnose this after a further discussion and physical exam. Treatment is available -- please discuss this with your doctor. There are other possible causes, which include neuropathy (nerve problems) or potentially a psychiatric disorder. I would strongly recommend that you discuss this with your doctor. You could also be suffering from muscular inflammation -- which may be caused by excess exercise. I would be concerned for Restless Leg Syndrome. Talk to your doctor. Good luck!