ZocdocAnswersMy knee hyperflexed the other day, now ts tight, sore and makes a clcking sound what could be wrong?

Question

My knee hyperflexed the other day, now ts tight, sore and makes a clcking sound what could be wrong?

Symptoms worse in mornng and evening... sharp pan shoots up leg to hip occasionally.

Answer

Your injury really sounds painful. Injuries to the knee can be due to stretching of the tendons, tearing of the cartilage, tearing of the ligaments, or bone damage. In your case, I would imagine that you may have damaged your meniscus. The meniscus is the cartilage that provides cushioning to the knee which can be damaged when the knee gets twisted or flexed in an abnormal way. Injury to the meniscus usually causes pain and swelling around the area of injury along with tenderness to touch on the side with the tear. In addition, a popping or clicking sound is often heard when the knee is bent. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. He or she can examine your knee closely and order any needed imaging such as x-rays or an MRI. If you do have a torn meniscus, then your surgeon will then be able to recommend treatment that is best in your particular situation. For some people, more conservative treatments such as exercises and anti-inflammatory medications can be helpful and all that is needed. In most people (especially young and active people), surgery to fix the torn cartilage is necessary to provide a meaningful recover. Good luck.