Zocdoc Answers

Medical questions & health advice by board certified doctors

"What kind of doctor should I see about my stretch marks?"

ZocdocAnswersWhat kind of doctor should I see about my stretch marks?


I have stretch marks all over my body and nothing seems to be helping.


Stretch marks, or striae as they are medically known, can afflict men and women of any age. As with many skin conditions, they are difficult to treat. As such, there are doctors who specialize in the skin who are experts in dealing with this. These type of doctors are known as dermatologists. More specifically, a cosmetic dermatologist is a dermatologist who specializes is the appearance of the skin. The skin is made of many layers. The outer layer is known as the epidermis and is mostly dead cells that cover the outside. The main layer is the dermis. Below that, is the subdermis (with the fat). Stretch marks are a tearing of the dermis. This tearing is often caused by a rapid growth of the skin which overcomes the skin's built in elasticity. Treatment is difficult. There are many types of creams that have been purported to either prevent stretch marks (most of the literature is for pregnant women) or treat them. There are also treatments that your dermatologist can recommend, including dermabrasion, radiofrequency ablation, and different types of laser therapy. Rarely, surgery can be done to remove the stretch marks. Keep in mind there are some causes of stretch marks (like high cortisol levels) that should be ruled out. Talk to a dermatologist. Good luck!

Zocdoc Answers is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor (in the United States) 911 immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment. Medical professionals who provide responses to health-related questions are intended third party beneficiaries with certain rights under Zocdoc’s Terms of Service.