ZocdocAnswersIs it ever effective/safe to combine ADD and anxiety/depression medications?

Question

Is it ever effective/safe to combine ADD and anxiety/depression medications?

I have been diagnosed with ADD, and am currently on medication (Adderal) to treat this. I also suffer from anxiety (with or without Adderal) and depression. I was wondering if there are any anti-anxiety/depression medications that are safe to combine with Adderal to treat these additional symptoms.

Answer

Attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (known as ADHD or more commonly as ADD) is a common condition. Depression, or medically known as major depressive disorder, is also fairly common. As such, these two conditions often overlap and patients with one often have the other. In addition, given the nature of these conditions, it is more likely that a patient with one will have the other. Regardless, either or both conditions require medical treatment. I would strongly recommend that you discuss this with a psychiatrist -- a medical specialist in medications that affect mood. To answer your question, YES, many medications designed to treat depression can be used in combination with Adderall. There are many types of anti-depressant medications, some of which are more safe and efficacious than others. Choosing the right one for your depressive symptoms is a difficult process, and requires a dedicated psychiatrist for assistance. In general, the class known as SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are good medications -- this class includes Zoloft, Prozac and Paxil. Which one would be best for you depend on how depression manifests itself. Adderal, which also works on brain chemistry but instead of serotonin works more on norepinepherine -- should be safe with most of these medicines. Before starting any medication talk to a psychiatrist. He or she will be able to help you further.