Why is there a bump under my left hand's ring finger?

I am a 20 year old female with no history of carpel tunnel. For the past couple of months a bump under the skin of my finger has been growing. It causes me no pain except a slight annoyance when wearing jewelry. It is hard and cartilage/bone like and does not move. I have not seen a doctor about this since I do not know who is best to approach with this situation
This is an interesting question that can best be resolved with the help of your primary care doctor. Most painless lumps and bumps on your extremities are simple annoyances, as you say, with readily identifiable causes when seen on physical exam. If yours is causing no other symptoms, such as difficulty or pain with movement, numbness, etc, then yours is likely some sort of benign finding, of which there are many possibilities. In general, any lump or bump that is growing should be seen by a doctor. By speaking with your primary care doctor, you will be able to confirm that your specific finding is nothing more involved or serious, and you will also be able to discuss possible treatment options. Some common causes of masses might also be identified by your family or personal history of similar bumps, as well as a discussion of what you do with your hands routinely, as some repetitive movements or exposures can be the cause of such things. Carpal tunnel syndrome will generally affect the wrist more than it will the distal fingers such as you are describing, and will also have weakness and numbness or tingling that are often present. Please discuss your concerns with your primary care doctor.

Other Orthopedic Surgeons