Why does my back always hurt on the right side not the left?

I'm a 33yr old woman. When I was 20 I went to the doctor she told me I had a birth defect in my back. I've been thru physical therapy numorous times & also on several different medications nothing has helped. I have also been told I will be in a wheelchair by the time im 30 years old to 40 years old. They were suppose to do surgery then decided not to because my virtabraes fused together.
It sounds like you have a complicated medical history. The trouble with birth defects is that they can be unique in every case -- while there are certain patterns each defect can be different. As such, it is impossible to give worthwhile advice without more information. The most important thing to recommend is that you seek the help of a skilled spine surgeon. Spine surgeons can be either neurosurgeons or orthopedic surgeons -- both being excellent. I would talk to your primary care doctor about someone he or she knows and trust and then discuss it with them. Spinal problems are unfortunately fairly common. As it is such an important structure for total balance and alignment, it can have multiple downstream effects. The most commonly effected problem is that there is asymmetric stress placed on the musculature of the back. For example, if the spinal defect causes your spine to bend to the left (known as scoliosis) this can stress the muscles on the back and therefore cause pain. This pain is caused by inflammation that occurs after with overwork. Physical therapy to strengthen the other muscles is very important. There are other surgeries that may be applicable. Inserting rods, steel cages or other structures to realign the spine may be helpful. Talk to a surgeon. Good luck!

Other Orthopedic Surgeons

• Dr. Joel Rush
    Dr. Joel Rush DO
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    1625 SE 3rd Avenue
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
  • Dr. Stephen Pearce
    Dr. Stephen Pearce MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    1015 East 32nd St.
    Austin, TX 78705
  • Dr. John Pearce
    Dr. John Pearce MD
    Orthopedic Surgeon
    1015 East 32nd St.
    Austin, TX 78705