ZocdocAnswersIs it normal to feel abdominal discomfort after just 4 weeks of pregnancy?

Question

Is it normal to feel abdominal discomfort after just 4 weeks of pregnancy?

I don't know for sure that I'm pregnant, but missed my period about 2-3 weeks ago. I'm 42 years old, without any kids. My stomach feels bloated and uncomfortable primarily in the am and pm and after eating.

Answer

I would strongly recommend that you see your primary care physician or ob/gyn. It is very important that you have this evaluated. While hopefully a minor event, this requires evaluation. Firstly, it is important to know if you are pregnant. While this is important with regards to if you would like to keep the fetus, the health of the fetus, and the appropriate prenatal care -- this is also very important as there are many complications of pregnancy. Any pregnancy, regardless of age but certainly more so with pregnancy later in life as is your case, there are complications that require immediate evaluation. This is most likely morning sickness and early satiety that is associated with pregnancy. In general, the pregnancy hormones such as estrogen cause a decrease in the motility of the gastrointestinal system. The hormones cause a decrease in the motion of food and fluid from the stomach down. This can cause a decrease in you ability to eat, your ability to fill your stomach as you normally would and subsequent bloating and nausea. This can occur throughout the first trimester. There are other things that should be ruled out. Like an ectopic pregnancy -- a pregnancy out of place that can be life threatening to you and your fetus. See your doctor immediately.