ZocdocAnswersIs there some kind of medical condition associated with recurring acne all over the body?

Question

Is there some kind of medical condition associated with recurring acne all over the body?

I am a male, 18 years of age. I have a recurring problem with my body. Everyday almost, i have been breaking out with acne. Most of the time it breaks out in unusual places. At first I haven't been very worried about it. But it has been happening alot lately. I have tried to wash my body with cleaning materials and even some special medicinal soap to stop the breakouts.

Answer

Acne can occur all over the body, not just on the face. This can just be your variant of acne, and it definitely does not mean that you have a serious underlying condition; it just means that you will have to work harder to get the acne under control. In addition to a good soap, like you are using, you probably need to add a comedonolytic. These are special chemicals that work by stripping off the dead layer of skin debris on top of the skin that tends to clog pores and lead to acne. Two of the most common comedonolytics are salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide. You can find both of these in different over the counter acne medicines and preparations. If this does not work for you, then it is time to see your primary care doctor. They can do several things for you. First, the can prescribe a prescription strength of comedonolytics. If there is a lot of inflammation in the acne, they may prescribe an antibiotic cream or an oral antibiotic. They can also give you a cream called tretinoin, which helps with removing dead skin debris. Start by setting up an appointment with your doctor; you can get this under control!