ZocdocAnswersWhat could cause my hands to have a strong tingly sensation immediately after I wake up sometimes?

Question

What could cause my hands to have a strong tingly sensation immediately after I wake up sometimes?

I'm a 23 year old man, and I weight approximately 255 pounds. Every once in a while I wake up after a couple of hours of sleep and one or both of my hands has a pretty strong tingling sensation. Someone once mentioned the idea of carpal tunnel, but I think that seems unlikely. I've wondered if it could me from the way I sleep, and how I may lay on my arms/hands. However, most of the time when I wake up it seems pretty evident that my hands/arms were in a position that didn't indication that I had been resting on them.

Answer

A little more information would be very helpful in getting to the underlying cause of these tingling sensations that you are experiencing. Does the tingling occur in your entire hand or only on certain fingers? Have you noticed weakness in your hands, or muscle atrophy along the muscle near the base of your thumb(s)? Do you work at a computer often or at a job where you use your hands often? These answers to these questions will be helpful when you discuss this with your primary care doctor because it will help him or her decide upon the appropriate work up. It definitely sounds like some of these issues could be related to carpal tunnel, but it is important that you are evaluated by your primary care doctor who will best be able to evaluate your medical history, and presenting symptoms and decide upon the appropriate work up. This may include lab tests or imaging studies. He may also refer you to a specialist for further work up. If this does indeed turn out to be carpal tunnel syndrome, there are a variety of treatments options available to help treat the symptoms you are having including splints, pain medications, and possibly surgery if it is deemed appropriate.