ZocdocAnswersWhy do i have small red bumps on my sides between my armpit and my hips?

Question

Why do i have small red bumps on my sides between my armpit and my hips?

I am a 30 year old man with no allergies. I have first noticed the red and white bumps about a year ago. At first the bumps look like a zit on your face. Though if I touch them at all they turn red and take about a week to go away. They are painful after i touch them and I do not have any allergies that I know of. I take no medications. I shower daily, and have used multiple kinds of soaps to see if i would have better results

Answer

I suspect that what is probably going on is something called folliculitis. Folliculitis is an infection caused by bacteria of the base of the hair shafts in the skin. It leads to small bumps that enlarge and become red and painful around the hair shafts. Sometimes there is a collection of pus leading to a whitehead appearance. Folliculitis is common in areas where there is a lot of moisture from sweating and friction, such as the groin and armpits, as well as the buttocks.It can often be preventing by regular skin hygiene, keeping the skin dry, and using an antibacterial soap. When small bumps spring up, you may want to apply a small amount of antibacterial ointment to keep them in check. You should also avoid squeezing the bumps, as this may irritate them and make the swelling and redness worse. Occasionally, the infection in the follicles can spread and can lead to abscess formation or more general infection of the surrounding skin. If you notice large bumps, spreading redness, pain, or warmth or fever, you will want to seek immediate medical attention as these signs may indicate that you need more urgent medical treatment. Talk to your primary care doctor if the problem continues!