ZocdocAnswersWhy are my feet constantly cold regardless of what time of year it is?

Question

Why are my feet constantly cold regardless of what time of year it is?

My feet have been cold ever since I can remember. Several years ago I was diagnosed as being diabetic and I am currently taking insulin for it. My blood sugar has stablilzed and I am not experiencing any other difficulty except my feet constantly stays cold regardless if I wear socks or not. Do you think there could be another undelying symptom I am not aware of?

Answer

Many people experience cold feet, and as such it can be considered a variant of normal. That being said, there are some conditions that can cause it and should be ruled out. I would recommend that you discuss this with your doctor. Because you are diabetic, one condition to rule out would be arterial insufficiency. Arterial insufficiency is a narrow of the arteries (the blood vessels) that deliver blood from the heart to the body including the feet. Diabetics are more likely than others to develop narrowing and plaques in blood vessels. If there is narrowing in the blood vessels to the feet, this can result in decreased blood flow and a cool feeling. This can ultimately result in not enough blood getting to the foot and therefore is a concern. In addition, it may be a sign that you are at risk of heart attacks and strokes. Talk to your doctor about this. Often it is associated with foot pain with running. Another cause of full body coolness is decreased thyroid hormone levels. Low blood count levels can also cause this. Rarely a small stroke in a particular area can cause this, but this is unlikely. This is likely normal, but talk to your doctor to rule out some of the above causes.