I have a couple moles that seem to always get irritated. Should I have them checked out?

I am 30 years old. I do not have allergies and I bathe daily. My mother has had moles removed. Cancer very much runs on my mothers side of the family. I am not taking medications, and consider myself to be in good shape. Three of them are in the base of my hairline on the back of my head.
All moles should be evaluated regularly by your doctor. This is because you need to make sure that none of them are suspicious. Ones that are deemed okay (not dangerous or looking cancerous) should be followed by a doctor to make sure they don't change. If you ever notice one of your moles changing in shape or color, you should have it seen right away. There are several aspects of moles that physicians look for. First, a benign (non-cancerous) mole should have sharp boarders and not seem to fad into the skin. They should be one color. They should be less than 1 centimeter in diameter. And finally, it should not be changing is shape or size. If any of these things are not true, then the mole must be removed and a biopsy of it sent to pathology to make sure that it does not represent a melanoma. Since you have never had one of these moles looked at by a qualified physician, I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can examine them closely. If they have any features that the primary doctor is concerned about, then you will need a referral to a dermatologist for biopsy and mole removal. Good luck.

• Dr. Angela Hon
    Dr. Angela Hon MD
    88-20 Rockaway Beach Blvd
    Rockaway Beach, NY 11693
  • Dr. Gurinder Brar
    Dr. Gurinder Brar MD
    2607 Windguard Circle
    Wesley Chapel, FL 33544
  • Dr. Richard Ashby
    Dr. Richard Ashby MD
    8330 Richmond Highway
    Alexandria, VA 22309