ZocdocAnswersAre there effective, non-addictive, sleep aids that won't leave me feeling hung over the next day?

Question

Are there effective, non-addictive, sleep aids that won't leave me feeling hung over the next day?

I have recently been trying sleep aids to help with my insomnia. So far I have only tried over-the-counter and herbal remedies because I do not want to become addicted to prescriptions. 3 mg of Melatonin is usually enough to help me fall asleep, but I do not always sleep for long and I no matter how long I sleep, I end up feeling severely hung over for up to 18 hours after taking it (even if I slept for 12 hours). I am not taking any other medications/drugs and I do not drink alcohol or smoke.

Answer

Insomnia is a tough problem to deal with. The good news is that there are a lot of good sleep remedies that can help. Before I touch on that, you should think of other things you can do to make sleep a bit easier for you. For example, make sure not to drink any caffeinated beverages after noon because they can prevent you from getting to sleep. Make sure to remove any clocks in your room. Being able to see the time when you are trying to fall asleep can be very distracting. Today's sleep aids are quite effective with only a few side effects and have a low likelihood of addition. Zolpidem (Ambien) is one of the more popular. It can be habit forming in certain people, but problems with addition are not common. Trazodone is an antidepressant that happens to make people tired. I use this all the time in the hospital to help people sleep. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your primary care physician. He or she can discuss you sleep issues with your and recommend a medication that complies with your wishes. Most likely, the doctor will reach for something like Zolpidem or Trazodone. I think one of these will help you sleep and I don't think addiction or dependence will be a problem.