Why is there blood in my eye?

I am a 23 year old male and a few days ago I looked in the mirror and noticed that one of my eyes is very red. It seems as it's bleeding but inside. My vision is normal, there is no pain and everything else seems to be normal. I have had this for a few days now and it still present which is concerning.
You are probably suffering from a sub-conjunctival hemorrhage in that eye. As you know, this can be a very alarming finding to discover. The conjunctiva is one of the transparent layers that surrounds and protects the eye. Beneath this layer is a network of very fine blood vessels called capillaries. These vessels are prone to breaking, which can happen spontaneously, but usually occur in the setting of increased pressure in the eye (usually caused as a result of trauma, violent sneezing or coughing, or vomiting). Sub-conjunctival hemorrhages are painless and usually discovered incidentally when someone looks in the mirror in the morning. Vision is not disturbed and the movements of the eye are completely preserved. Typically the redness will be absorbed by the other capillaries in the surrounding area, but this can take up to 1 to 2 weeks. In the meantime, you should avoid taking aspirin or other NSAIDs like ibuprofen which can potentiate bleeding. If the above description does not match your symptoms, or if you begin to develop any pain in the eye, difficulty moving the eye, or a change in your vision, then you should seek further consultation with your primary care doctor or an eye doctor.

Other Ophthalmologists